10th March 2018, Karnal
The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Radha Mohan Singh launched mobile app ‘Salinity Expert’ during the Golden Jubilee Kisan Mela organized by ICAR-Central Soil Salinity Research Institute, Karnal today.
Agriculture Minister suggested that mobile enabled Information and Communication Technologies can complement the role of extension services in disseminating the research outputs to the end users more widely and swiftly.
Dr. P.C. Sharma, Director ICAR-CSSRI briefed that this mobile app is an initiative towards digital India to fast track the dissemination of farmer friendly technologies under salt affected agro-ecosystems, bridging the barriers of time and space and aim to doubling the farmers’ income by 2022.
The application can be freely downloaded from the Google play store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dev.cssri.farmerfirst&...
The app was developed under the Farmer FIRST project entitled “Empowering farmers through selective interventions in salt affected agro-ecosystem of Ghaghar Plains”.
Salinity Expert App
The mobile app is a user friendly app available in hindi version compatible to Andriod phone featuring:
- Knowledge based digital compendium including management practices for rice, wheat and mustard crops under salty environments right from sowing to harvesting
- User friendly query handler to raise queries either as text messages or in graphic/recorded form. The queries then will be attended by the administrator via message sorting, short message service, email etc.
- Aadhar/Mobile Login ID based digitization of soil health cards (SHCs) including farmer’s basic information, soil fertility and water quality analysis
- Methodology and precautionary measures while taking soil and irrigation water samples
- Estimated gypsum requirement considering inherent soil sodicity (pH) and residual alkalinity in irrigation water (RSC) and their concomitant effect on crop yields (yield predictions)
- Digitization of soil fertility status and water quality maps of study domain under farmer FIRST project
- Updated agro-advisories and information pertaining to training programmes and other important events
(Source: ICAR-Central Soil Salinity Research Institute, Karnal)