Krishi Vigyan Kendra - Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar organized a Workshop on “Quality Improvement in Production of Basmati Rice for Export” on 11th August 2017 in association with Basmati Export Development Foundation, APEDA, Govt of India, Modipuram Meerut.
Prof. Gaya Prasad, Vice-Chancellor, SVBPUA&T, Modipuram Meerut, Chief Guest of the workshop, appealed the farmers to reduce the application of insecticide, chemical fertilizers in paddy cultivation which has an adverse effect on human health, for the export purpose.
Dr R.K. Singh, Director, IVRI said that application of recommended scientific technologies and practices in paddy cultivation will help in doubling the income of the farmers.
Shri Rajen Sunderasen, Executive Director, All India Rice Exporters Association assured to provide all possible technical help to farmers.
The workshop was attended officials of line department and ATMA, Bareilly.
314 farmers, rural youth, and farm women also participated in the workshop..
The following package of practices were recommended for the Quality Improvement in Production of Basmati Rice for Export:
- Varieties such as Basmati 370, Pusa Basmati6, Basmati BSR 30, Basmati 386Haryana Basmati1, Punjab Basmati 2, Punjab Basmati 1, Mahi Sugandha, Pant Basmati, Pusa Basmati 1121, etc were recommended
- Purification of seed by salt solution
- Soaking of Seed with carbendazim 2 gm/kg seed for 24 hours
- Sprouting of seed
- Make 1.5 – 2.0 meter wide beds and leveled it
- Use 25 - 40 Sq Meter Area for 1 Kg Seed
- Nursery uprooting in flood only
- Cut the 1/4th of upper leave & seedling treatment
- Green manuring through sesbania
- spacing, depth and gap filling
- transplanting with single seedling in rows & keep gap after 10 lines for movement
- pata practice after 15 days of transplanting
- Balance application of fertilizers ( Nitrogen, Phosphorous, potash, Zink)
- Rogueing, isolation, uniformity of the crop, manual threshing by drum system and winnowing etc.
(Source: Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar)