Crop losses due to unseasonal rains during 1st week of March 2015 and Contingency Recommendations
Significant weather observations
- Heat wave conditions prevailed at isolated places over West Rajasthan.
- Thunderstorms have been observed at few places over South Interior Karnataka & Kerala and at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, West Bengal & Sikkim, Assam & Meghalaya, Mizoram, Chhattisgarh, East Madhya Pradesh, Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Rayalaseema, Tamilnadu between 0830 hours IST of yesterday to 0830 hours IST of today.
Main Weather Observations
- Rain/thundershower has occurred at many places over Jammu &Kashmir, South Interior Karnataka and Kerala; at a few places over Chhattisgarh, Tamilnadu, Coastal Andhra Pradesh and at isolated places over Uttarakhand, West Bengal & Sikkim, northeastern states, Jharkhand, odisha, East Madhya Pradesh, Vidarbha, Telangana and Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Weather remained dry over rest of the country.
- The amounts of rainfall (1 cm or more) recorded at 0830 hours IST of today are: Valparai-4;Gulmarg, Kupwara, Jagdalpur, Chitradurga and Gangtok-3each; Durg, Cannur, Karipur and Kochi-2each and Pahalgam, Srinagar, Kolkata, Ramagundam, Perikulam, Salem and Madikari-1each.
- Minimum temperature are above normal by 2-4°C at many places over Jammu & Kashmir; at a few places over West Rajasthan and at isolated places Punjab, West Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat state. They are below normal by 2-5°C at most places over Chhattisgarh; at many places over East Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Gangetic West Bengal, Odisha, Vidarbha and Kerala; at a few places over Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Coastal Karnataka, Tamilnadu and at isolated places over Assam & Meghalaya, Madhya Maharashtra & South Interior Karnataka and near normal over rest of the country.
- The highest maximum temperature of 45.5°C was recorded at Jaisalmer (Rajasthan).
- Kalpana-1: Cloud imagery of 0830 hours IST shows convective clouds over many parts Jammu & Kashmir and some parts of Tamilnadu, southwest Arabian sea, southeast Bay of Bengal and Andaman sea. Low/medium clouds are seen over rest parts of the country outside West Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, West Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Madhya Maharashtra.
Weather Forecast for next 5 days (upto 0830 hours IST of 2nd May, 2015)
- No significant change in maximum and minimum temperatures over northwest, central and west India during next 2-3days.
- Latest available satellite picture (Fig.1) indicates the current cloud condition across Indian region.
- The climate outlook for the period of seven days i.e. 27thApril to 05th May 2015 (Fig.2). Rain/thundershowers would occur at many places over western Himalayan region, northeastern states and south peninsular India.
Weather Outlook for subsequent 2 days from 02ndMay 2015 to 04thMay 2015
- Rain/thundershowers would occur at few places over western Himalayan region.
- Rain/thundershowers would occur at many places over northeastern states.
- Isolated to scattered rain/thundershowers would occur over south peninsular India.
- Light rainfall received in Uttarakhand state during past few days. Temperatures slightly higher than normal. Agricultural operations like sowing of barnyard millet in mid hills and transplanting of tomato, capsicum & brinjal in mid hills and higher hills under irrigated conditions, weeding in potato and tomato in valleys are in progress. pod picking in vegetable pea in valleys and mid hills as well as harvesting of wheat, barley in valleys are in progress. Wheat & barley are at maturity stage in valleys while growth to milking stage in mid and higher hills respectively, pea & vegetable are in pod setting to flowering stage, peach, pear, apricot and plum are in fruit setting stage in mid hills.. No major pests and diseases were noticed.
- Hot and dry weather was observed in Rajasthan state during past few days. The maximum temperature was ranges from 31.7 to 41.2 °C with mean value of 37.9 °C which was above normal by 1.3°C and minimum temperature was ranged from 18.1 to 25.8 °C with mean value of 22.2°C which was was above normal by 2.3°C. Agricultural operations like cutting and threshing of late sown wheat, weeding in summer green gram and groundnut crops are in progress. Wheat is at harvesting stage and groundnut is at padding stage. No major pests and diseases were noticed.
- Dry weather prevailed in Odisha state during past few days. The mean maximum daily temperature was 36.90C and mean minimum daily temperature was 24.6°C. Agricultural operations like harvesting of early summer rice, sowing of jute, planting of zinger, top dressing and irrigation of sugarcane, plant protection measures of summer pulses and sesame. Pinching of marigold, planting of colocasia, tube rose & dahlia, plant protection of summer groundnut & sunflower, sowing of summer vegetables like cucurbits and okra, intercultural operation and plant protection in summer vegetables crops are in progress. Summer rice panicle emergence to flowering stage, sugarcane are at tillering stage, groundnut is in maturity stage, medium duration arhar is in seed development to maturity stage and groundnut, summer sunflower is in PI to flowering stage and summer vegetables are at seedling stage. Low intensity of thrips in chilli, fruit & shoot borer and fruit rot in brinjal and alternaria leaf blight and pod borer in tomato crops was noticed.
(Source:Email: email@example.com, CRIDA, Hyderabad )
Updated on 27-04-2015 05:40 PM
Weather Based Agro Advisory 2014