Monsoon Watch (IMD)
- The country as a whole received 3% deficit rainfall during 1 June to 30 July.
- The images showing progressive rainfall situation and the latest satellite picture are shown in Fig. 1 & 2.
Significant weather observations (IMD)
- Gangetic West Bengal received heavy rainfall (31 mm) during last 24 hours.
- The southwest monsoon has been vigorous over West Rajasthan and active over Gangetic West Bengal, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura and Jharkhand.
- Rain/thundershowers has occurred at most places over West Rajasthan, East Uttar Pradesh, Gangetic West Bengal, Jharkhand, Konkan & Goa, Coastal Karnataka; at many places over Sub Himalayan, West Bengal & Sikkim, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura, East Rajasthan, Gujarat region, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Chandigarh & Delhi, Odisha, Assam & Meghalaya, Saurashtra & Kutch Madhya Maharashtra and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
Weather Warning during next 5 days (IMD)
- 01 August : Heavy to very heavy rainfall would occur at a few places with isolated extremely heavy falls over north Odisha, Gangetic West Bengal and Jharkhand.
- 02 August : Heavy to very heavy rainfall would occur at a few places over Chhattisgarh, East Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Odisha.
- 03 August : Heavy to very heavy rainfall would occur at a few places over Chhattisgarh, East Madhya Pradesh , Jharkhand, Odisha and Konkan & Goa.
- 04 August : Heavy to very heavy rainfall would occur at a few places over East Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
- The weather outlook for the period of seven days i.e. 31 July to 08 August 2015 forecasted (Provided by Real-Time Weather Forecasts from NOAA/NCEP collected from http://monsoondata.org/wx2/) heavy rainfall along the west coast, north Odisha, Gangetic West Bengal, Jharkhand, Sub Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim, south Odisha, Konkan & Goa, Coastal Andhra Pradesh and North eastern states. (Fig. 3).
Agricultural activities (AICRPAM-CRIDA)
Rainfall situation: West Rajasthan received 107% excess rainfall, while East Rajasthan received 40% excess rainfall compared to the normal so far.
Progress in kharif sowing: About 90-95 % area have covered so far under kharif crops in the state against the targeted area. However, crops were damaged due to heavy rainfall in Jalore district.
- Drain out the excess rain water from crop field where water logging conditions prevailed due to heavy rainfall.
- Top dress the remaining dose of nitrogen fertilizer in maize, sorghum and pearl millet crops where the crop attained 25-30 days as adequate soil moisture is available after wide spread rainfall.
- Gap filling is to be done in sorghum where plant wilted due to prolonged dry spell as the present soil moisture conditions are quite favourable due to receipt of good rainfall during last 6-7 days.
North Interior Karnataka
Rainfall situation: during 24.07.2015 to 30.07.2015, North Interior Karnataka received 5.6 mm rainfall against the normal rainfall of 33.5 mm (83% deficit). During the kharif season, NIK received 119 mm rainfall against the normal of 228 mm (48% deficit).
Progress in kharif sowing: the total area sown in North Interior Karnataka is 23.75 lakh ha (As on 27 July 2015) and this accounts for 77% of the normal sowing area of 29.57 lakh ha. The following districts recorded lowest sowing so far: Raichur (32% of normal sown area), Yadgir (46% of normal sown area) and Ballari (47% of normal sown area).
- Due to the severe drought conditions caused by deficient/scanty rainfall in North Interior Karnataka, the following interventions are recommended:
- There is no scope for taking up any sowing operation in view of rainfall forecast of poor rainfall
- Thinning operation by removal of weak seedlings in each row
- Spraying of 0.5 per cent KNO3
- Repeated inter-cultivation
- Keep the crops free from weeds
- Open conservation furrow after two rows in wider spaced crops and after every 8th row in narrow spaced crops
(Source:Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, CRIDA, Hyderabad )
Updated on 31-07-2015 05:45 PM
Weather Based Agro Advisory 2014