Crop losses due to unseasonal rains during 1st week of March 2015 and Contingency Recommendations
Significant weather observations
- Heat wave conditions were prevailed at isolated places over West Rajasthan, Gujarat, Konkan & Goa and West Madhya Pradesh.
- Thunderstorms have been observed at isolated places over Jammu division, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, interior Odisha, North Interior Karnataka and Coastal Karnataka during past 24 hours.
Main Weather Observations
- Rain/thundershower has occurred at a few places over Andaman & Nicobar Islands and at isolated places over Assam & Meghalaya, Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur & Tripura, Sub Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim, Odisha, Konkan & Goa and North Interior Karnataka. Weather remained dry over rest of the country. The amounts of rainfall recorded at 0830 hours IST of today are: Imphal and Shillong-1cmeach.
- Minimum temperatures are above normal by 5-7°C at most places over Rajasthan at many places over Gujarat state; at a few places over Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand and West Uttar Pradesh; by 2-4°C at most places over Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Sub Himalayan West Bengal & Sikkim and Konkan & Goa; at many places over Haryana & Delhi, Gangetic West Bengal and West Madhya Pradesh; at a few places over East Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Madhya Maharashtra and at isolated places over Punjab, East Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Vidarbha, northeastern states, Karnataka & Kerala and near normal over rest of the country.
- Kalpana-1: Cloud imagery of 0830 hours IST shows convective clouds over some parts of Andaman sea. Low/medium clouds are seen over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Odisha, West Bengal, north eastern states, Madhya Maharashtra, Konkan & Goa, Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamilnadu.
Weather Forecast for next 5 days (upto 0830 hours IST of 31st March, 2015)
- Maximum temperatures would rise by 1-2°C over northwest, central and west India during next 23days and fall by 2-4°C thereafter. No significant change in minimum temperatures likely over the same region.
- Heat wave conditions would continue to prevail over Southwest Madhya Pradesh and Konkan & Goa during next 24 hours and abate thereafter.
- Latest available satellite picture (Fig.1) indicates the current cloud condition across Indian region.
- The climate outlook for the period of seven days i.e. 26th March to 3rd April 2015 (Fig.2). Rain/thundershowers would occur over western Himalayan region, northeastern states, plains of northwest India, central, east and south peninsular India.
Weather Outlook for subsequent 2 days from 31st March to 2ndApril 2015
- Fairly widespread precipitation would occur over western Himalayan region & northeastern states.
- Scattered rain/thundershower would occur over plains of northwest India.
- Isolated rain/thundershower would also occur over central, east and south peninsular India.
- Dry weather prevailed in Odisha state during past few days. The mean maximum daily temperature was 36.7°C and mean minimum daily temperature was 21.4°C. Agricultural operations like post harvest operation in paddy, top dressing of summer rice and irrigation intercultural operation of sugarcane, harvesting of wheat, plant protection of rabi crops like mustard, sesame, sunflower, manuring of jasmine plant protection of vegetables like cole crops, intercultural operation and plant protection of summer groundnut, sunflower and summer vegetables like cucurbits, lady's finger crops are in progress. Low intensity of stem borer, blast &, BPH in rice, thrips, leaf minor, tikka & cercospora in groundnut, stem borer in maize and top & shoot borer in sugarcane crops was noticed.
- Light rainfall received in Kerala state during past few days. The maximum temperature ranged from 35.5 to 36.8°C and minimum temperature ranged from 24.4 to 25.8°C. Agricultural operations like irrigation in all the crops and mulching in nutmeg, arecanut and coconut plants are in progress. Moderate intensity of sigatoka in banana, stem bleeding in coconut, tea mosquito in cashew, wilt disease in black pepper, stem borer, leaf roller in rice and white stem borer in coffee was noticed.
- Dry weather prevailed in Southern Karnataka region of Karnataka state during past few days. Agricultural operations like thrashing, cleaning, winnowing and drying of ragi and harvesting and drying of red gram crop are in progress. No major pests and diseases were noticed.
(Source:Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, CRIDA, Hyderabad )
Updated on 27-03-2015 09:05 AM
Weather Based Agro Advisory 2014