Jindal Aluminium Ltd, Jindal Nagar, Tumkur Road, Bangalore-560073 (hereafter called JAL) and Sitaram Jindal Foundation, 11 Green Avenue, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi – 110 070 (hereinafter called SJ Foundation) which are consistently engaged in the field of Charitable and philanthropic activities in India since 1969, in furtherance to their said endeavour and sublime approach for the benefit of the general masses, have instituted the ‘Sitaram Jindal Research Fellowship Scheme’ to encourage and inspire the talent and recognize excellence in innovation and research.
SJ Foundation would manage the Research Fellowship Scheme on behalf of JAL.
Up to Rs. 1 lakh per month
- The amount of Fellowship per month would depend upon whether the scholar is gainfully employed and is getting salary for his current employment in a Research Organisation or is getting only this fellowship. The Fellowship amount would also depend on the following
- Qualifications and Experience of the Candidate.
- Proven Track Record as evident from the innovations done in the past, Quality of Publications and Recognitions.
- Relevance and Importance of the Research Topic for the common man.
- In addition, the Research Fellow will also get a Contingency grant of a maximum of Rs. 10 lakhs per year, the quantum of which will also depend upon the need of such contingency funding. The contingency grant will take care of the actual contingent expenditure incurred in pursuance of the ‘Research and Innovation’ work. This amount can be used for the following
- For acquisition of Books, Documents of relevance to the project as approved by the Head of Department/Host Institution.
- For publication of articles/papers in reputed journals and filing for patents connected with this research work.
- To meet petty expenses for the purchase of chemicals, reagents, stationery, postage, Registration fee for attending workshops/conferences.
- For travel expenses including one foreign travel/foreign attachment during the entire research project period. The approval for foreign travel/foreign attachment will be given by SJ Foundation on the recommendation of the Host Institution.
Contingent grant cannot be used on furniture, office equipments including Computers, laptops etc. The use of contingency grant will be governed by guidelines issued from time to time by SJ Foundation.
The Fellowship will be sanctioned to the individual(s) who are either attached or are going to be attached to the Institutions which have the infrastructure facilities for the type of research work to be undertaken, besides guidance and supervision of the Fellow doing the Research. A certificate to this effect has to be obtained by the applicant from the Host Institution which should be submitted with his application to SJ Foundation. The application should be sent through the Host Institution duly recommended by the Head of the Dept.
- The Host Institution will get Rs. 4 lakhs per year per Research Fellow as overhead expenditure and for monitoring, supervising and controlling the fellow and the expenditure of funds to ensure that the funds are properly utilised and are not misused and to avoid extravagance.
Field of Research
The proposed area of research/work of the candidate could be in any of the following fields.
- Any field of Science in its broadest terms including (but not limited to) Engineering and Technology, Medicine including Indian Systems of Medicine with special emphasis on Naturopathy, Agriculture, Vet. Sc., Environment etc.
- Innovative solutions to the problems faced by the country and the people of India in any field.
- Towards poverty alleviation – innovations to benefit the poor in a big way.
- Open to all Indians living in India or abroad. The Research work should be conducted in India. Persons of Indian origin who have acquired foreign nationality are not eligible.
- Should have PhD or MD/ MS in Medicine or M Tech or equivalent, in the relevant field.
- The subject of research should be absolutely non-controversial having no alignment towards or against a particular sect or religion or with any intent to propagate a particular ideology or concept directed to develop any religious, caste or communal feelings in the society.
- The topic of study/research should be beneficial to the general populace of the country particularly to the under privileged and vulnerable groups.
- The candidate should have proven high calibre academic and research track record as evident from the quality of publications, recognitions and intellectual property rights obtained.
- The research fellows, who are employed by the Host Institution, should devote at least 50% of their time on research under this fellowship scheme.
- All the other research fellows who are not employed by the Host Institution should carry out research continuously on full time basis under this fellowship scheme.
- The candidate should not accept any other fellowship/scholarship or stipend except with the prior permission of SJ Foundation. The candidate may continue to get the salary, as permitted by SJ Foundation, from the institution where he is employed and where the research is being conducted.
- The research fellow who is employed by the Host institution and is drawing salary from it, should get a “No Objection” letter from the institution stating that the institution has no objection to their employee undertaking research under this Fellowship Scheme.
- The proposed research work should be original. The JAL/SJF will be immune and will stand indemnified in case of any legal infringement of copyright, patent and trademark and/or any other legal infringement committed by the candidate.
- Preference will be given to ‘Innovative Research’ leading to tangible outcomes.
Initially for 3 years which can be extended up to a maximum total of 6 years depending upon the quality and the quantity of the research work done so far, need for extension and the likely outcome of further research work. The SJ Foundation will take a decision on extension on the basis of the recommendations of the Head of Department and the Host Institution after evaluation by the experts, if considered necessary.
- The application form (Annexure 'A') and all other relevant information can be downloaded from the "Sitaram Jindal Research Fellowship Scheme" website www.sjfellowship.org
- The applicant will register himself and submit his application for research fellowship on the website of the Fellowship Scheme in the prescribed form (Annexure 'A') after getting the consent of the Host Institution. He will also submit the signed hard copy of his application in the prescribed form along with attested copies of certificates/recommendations to the Host Institution.
- Applications sent directly to SJ Foundation will not be considered.
- The applications for fellowship can be sent any time of the year. There is no last date.
- The Host Institution will forward the hard copy of the application (Annexure 'A') received from the candidate after filling up Part-2 of the application form along with supporting documents duly signed by the Head of Dept. with their recommendation on their official letterhead to The Secy. General, Sitaram Jindal Foundation, 11, Green Avenue, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110070 by post.
- The Host Institution will also register itself on the fellowship scheme website and recommend the application on the website also for further processing the application by SJ Foundation Secretariat.
- The hard copies of the application and the host institution's recommendation on the hard copy are only for record. The processing of applications for research fellowship will be done only on the website of the fellowship scheme.
- Institutions where relevant research activities are carried out.
- Universities where facilities and guidance/supervision are available.
- All National Laboratories, IIT’s, IISc. Bangalore, CSIR and its laboratories/institutes, ICAR, IARI and all Agriculture research institutes under them, ICMR and Research Institutes and Laboratories under ICMR, CCRYN, BARC, Institutes related to atomic energy, TERI, organisations where research is done on environment, spirituality, culture and current problems being faced by the country and the people of India, TIFR, National Institute of Oceanography and any other institutes of standing where innovative research is conducted.
- Major R&D Organizations.
- Space Commission, Atomic Energy Commission, Nuclear Power Corporation, NTPC, NHPC, ONGC, etc.
- Reputed NGOs, having done/doing outstanding work for the mankind.
- Spiritual/Religious organizations and bodies of social sciences enjoying integrity and popularity with large following.
- The Host Institution should have the approval under section 35(2AA) or section 35(I)(ii) or section 35(I)(iii) of I.T. Act as applicable.
- The Host Institutions are expected to function independently and judiciously without being influenced/pressurised. They should keep in mind the following while recommending a candidate for fellowship.
- Each Host Institution may host up to a maximum of 5 candidates every year.
- The Host Institution should inform the candidate that the fellowship is sponsored by JAL/SJ Foundation and agree to extend full and whole hearted support in the conduct of the Research work in close cooperation with JAL/SJ Foundation.
- Normally the Head of the Host Institution should not recommend their own kith and kin. In case, this is unavoidable, the fact should be specifically brought to the notice of SJ Foundation.
- An MOU will be signed by the candidate, the host institution, Jindal Aluminium Ltd and Sitaram Jindal Foundation clearly indicating the responsibilities/ commitments on the part of the four parties.
The selection process will be on a 3 tier system controlled by JAL/SJ Foundation.
- All proposals received will be acknowledged by email.
- The secretariat of the SJ Foundation may forward any or all cases to one or more referees identifying the points on which their comments are required.
- The referees will examine the proposal so received and offer the recommendations/findings on the suitability or otherwise of the proposal and will send it back to the SJ Foundation Secretariat. The referees and the secretariat may seek any information/clarifications from the applicant, head of dept. or the host institution or any other person deemed fit.
- The secretariat will forward a synopsis of the proposals and the recommendations/findings received from the referees to the members of the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will recommend whether the case is fit to be granted Fellowship and also recommend the fellowship amount per month and the contingency fund for the research work.
- The referees will be paid a suitable honorarium.
- The synopsis of the cases approved by the Selection Committee along with a list of rejected cases with reasons shall be forwarded to SJ Foundation for final approval along with the quantum of fellowship per month and the contingency fund per year during the currency of the fellowship.
- Mere application/correspondence with the host Institution /Selection Committee does not necessarily mean or imply that the individual shall be selected for the fellowship.
- The decision on the selection or otherwise of research proposal would be sent to the Host Institution and the candidate by email. The secretariat will also send four copies of MOU duly signed to the Host Institution for getting the signatures of the research fellow and the competent authority of the Host Institution. The Host Institution will return two copies signed by all to SJ Foundation Secretariat.
- The selection process shall be carried out throughout the year. There is no last date. The Selection Committee shall meet as often as necessary.
- The Selection Committee may call the candidate for a personal interview for which the candidate will be paid AC-3 Tier return train fare from their place of residence. The referees may also be invited to attend the personal interview if considered necessary by the Selection Committee.
- The selection will be based on the scrutiny of academic/research achievements and documentary evidence and the importance/relevance of the research work to be carried out, the expected outcomes and the performance of the candidate in the interview, if conducted. Proven track record of high calibre as revealed by the academic performance and publications/recognitions and the relevance of the research topic would broadly guide the Selection Committee in taking their decision.
- The criteria for selection for fellowship is:
- The quality of candidate’s work and the extent of creativity and promise shown.
- The sense that the fellowship would make a difference.
- The importance of the Research work for the benefit of the society.
- The number of candidates to be selected for the fellowship may vary from year to year. The number in the first year would be 20. The number of fellowships can be revised by JAL/SJ Foundation at any time depending upon the availability of funds.
- The Selection Committee will consist of the Chairman, the Vice Chairman, two other members and the Secy. General of SJ Foundation as member secretary. SJ Foundation Secretariat will keep a panel of experts in various fields for nomination in the selection committee. The experts from this panel will be invited to be members of the selection committee. These members of selection committee may change depending upon the field of research activity proposed by the candidate for research fellowship.
- The quorum of the meetings of the Selection Committee shall be 3.
- The decision of the Selection Committee shall be by consensus. However, in case of divergent opinion, such cases may also be sent to SJ Foundation along with the differing opinion provided at least two members support the recommendation.
- SJ Foundation shall nominate the chairman, Vice Chairman and the other members of the Selection Committee. SJ Foundation can also change at any time any of the members/chairman/Vice Chairman of the selection committee without assigning any reason.
- The tenure of the Chairman and the Vice Chairman of the Selection Committee shall be one year which can be extended up to maximum of 5 years. The other two members of the Selection Committee will be appointed for the particular meeting(s) related to their subject.
- The members of the Selection Committee may visit the place of work for actual review of the research study being carried out by the candidates. The candidate and the host institution are expected to furnish all information and cooperate.
- The list of candidates recommended for the fellowship by the Selection Committee along with a synopsis of the topic of research, the fellowship and the contingency grant recommended and also the list of all rejected cases with brief reasons for rejection would be sent by the Secretary General to SJ Foundation for approval. The decision of SJ Foundation would be final.
- The members of the Selection Committee shall be paid a suitable honorarium.
- The fellowship and the contingency grant shall be paid in instalment to the Host Institution subject to periodical review. The first instalment shall be paid after the receipt of joining report of the research fellow. Subsequent instalments will be released after the receipt of statement of a/c of utilization of the previous instalment. The Host Institution will make monthly payments to the Research Fellow for the Fellowship Amount and spend from the contingency grant as and when required. While making monthly payments to the research fellow, the host institution shall inform the research fellow that the fellowship amount being paid to him is sponsored by JAL/SJ Foundation and also the spirit behind the fellowship scheme. The host institution shall be responsible for proper utilization of grant and for rendering accounts to the secretariat of the SJ Foundation.
- The statement of a/c duly certified by the auditors of the host institution should be sent to the SJ Foundation’s secretariat every year. Unspent balance of the contingency grants and the Fellowship amount lying with the host institution at any time due to termination/resignation of the research fellow or completion of tenure must be refunded to SJ Foundation immediately. Books and documents acquired for the grant will be the property of host institute after completion/discontinuation of research work.
- The funds will be transferred to the host institution by electronic transfer which may return the money if it is not satisfied with the performance of the research fellow.
The host institution will keep separate accounts for this fellowship scheme. These accounts will be audited annually by the independent auditors of JAL/SJ Foundation. The auditors, shall at all times, enjoy free access to all the books, documents and accounts of this fellowship scheme in the host institution. SJ Foundation can also depute these auditors at any time of the year for special audit, if considered necessary by them.
- The research work should make a marked contribution in the specified field and should be beneficial to the society.
- The unsuccessful candidates of any particular year will not be eligible for sponsorship in the two succeeding years.
- If the research fellow is found to be lacking in research aptitude or negligent in his/her research assignment, the head of department may inform the host institution and the secretariat that the work done is found to be unsatisfactory. The fellowship will be terminated by SJ Foundation on the recommendation of the head of department / host institution/JAL.
- The fellowship can be terminated if the particulars given in the application form for fellowship are found to be incorrect or false.
- JAL/ SJ Foundation reserves the right to terminate the fellowship at any time without assigning any reason and no person or institution or any other entity can object to the same.
- In the event of the research fellow leaving the project before completion of the research project without prior permission of SJ Foundation, he/she will be required to refund the entire fellowship and contingency grant from the date of joining to the date of leaving the fellowship.
- The contingency grant should not be used to build up basic facilities in a research lab nor should it be used for personal payments to the members of regular staff of the organization where the research is carried on or for personal expenditure of the research fellow or his family members. The host institution will submit a certificate to this effect to SJ Foundation before 30th April for the year ending 31st March every year.
- The research work shall be evaluated/monitored by JAL/SJ Foundation. The secretariat of the foundation may also send, where ever necessary, its officers to review the work of research in the institute where the research fellow is working. The secretariat of SJ Foundation may also directly seek clarifications from the research fellow about the research work done by him.
- The research fellow shall submit annual progress reports through the head of department and the host institution along with their appraisals. The research fellow shall also directly report to SJ Foundation about the progress made by him in research once in three months.
- The continuation of fellowship for each year will depend upon the progress of work. The failure to submit the Annual Progress report in time may necessitate the termination of fellowship. In case of unsatisfactory progress/performance, JAL/SJ Foundation may discontinue the fellowship.
- The Annual Progress report should contain complete details like time devoted, efforts in attaining the target, intermediate results with reference to the agreed milestones unforeseen problems, if encountered, and how such problems can be solved. The yearly progress report should be exhaustive and meaningful.
- The Annual Progress will be evaluated by the selection committee which will send its recommendations in respect of undeserving cases to the Secretariat who will withhold the next payment forthwith. The selection committee would send the list of approved cases also to the secretariat. The annual progress reports may also be referred to referees for evaluation.
- The secretariat and the Selection Committee shall monitor all cases after payment of first instalment of fellowship and keep track of progress achieved by the research fellow in pursuing the research and keep JAL/SJ Foundation periodically informed.
- The secretariat, the referees and the selection committee shall exercise their duties with a sense of fair play, justice and commitment to see that the fellowship is not misused by anyone and no deserving person is unnecessarily debarred or deprived of the fellowship.
- JAL/SJ Foundation reserve the right to inspect, check and review the work carried out by the research fellow as and when it feels necessary and take action accordingly.
- The completion of the work should be intimated immediately to the secretariat of SJ Foundation by the individual and the host institution and the final report of the research work should be submitted within two months of the date of completion of the research project.
- In case, results are achieved before time and the project is completed before three years, the individual can continue to get the fellowship with the approval of SJ Foundation during the remaining period provided he takes up any other project falling within the ambit of the scheme.
- The commercial exploitation of the results and the patent rights arising out of the Research project can be made only with the prior consent of SJ Foundation. In the event of commercial exploitation of such patents, SJ Foundation will be entitled to get 1/3rd of the net income from out of commercial exploitation of patents/IP rights as donation.
- Any publicity/pressure/approach at any stage directly or indirectly to a member of Selection Committee or JAL/SJ Foundation shall disqualify the candidate.
- If any case of favouritism, manipulation, false information comes to notice of JAL/SJ Foundation, it can take action against the person/authority concerned including discontinuation of the fellowship and recovery of money disbursed.
- If during the currency of the fellowship it is noticed that the research is suffering due to friction/non-cooperation/lack of adjustment between the research fellow and the institution, the fellowship shall be stopped forthwith besides other action unless the fellow finds another institution up to the satisfaction of the SJ Foundation for pursuing his research. The fellowship can be transferred from one host institute to another in special circumstances with the approval of JAL/SJ Foundation.
- The research fellows should not take up or engage in any service/assignment/work/business other than the one already declared and approved. Any contravention may lead to the research fellow being asked to pay back the entire fellowship money with interest in addition to other action.
- The research fellow must send a detailed consolidated report of the research work done during the entire period of fellowship on completion of tenure/resignation/termination of fellowship through the head of department to SJ Foundation within two months along with all publications made.
- The sponsor as well as the foundation should be informed in advance of such discontinuation. Abrupt discontinuation of the research work without advance information to SJ Foundation may lead to legal action.
- Once the research fellow accepts the fellowship, it is incumbent on him/her to continue the research till its successful completion/achievement
- In case of female research fellow, maternity leave may also be admissible.
- The research fellow should keep SJ Foundation informed about his getting higher degrees, submission of thesis/publication of papers etc. Copies of such papers should be sent to SJ Foundation.
- The financial support given by JAL/SJ Foundation should be acknowledged in all the publication/research papers made by him.
- The research fellow will not go abroad on leave or for attending conference/seminars abroad without prior approval of SJ Foundation during the subsistence of the fellowship.
- Research fellow will not take up any other activity without the written permission of SJ Foundation.
- JAL/SJ Foundation reserve the right to defer, withdraw or cancel the fellowship scheme at any time without assigning any reason whatsoever.
- In case of disputes between various parties viz. the research fellow, the host institution and SJ Foundation, the decision of SJ Foundation shall be final.