Shri Chandan Kumar Khuntia, an employee at SAIL, Bhubaneswar and a resident of Gualigorada Village, Satyabadi Block, Puri District, Odisha has set himself as an example of successful entrepreneur in his vicinity by adopting the practice of farming. After starting his career at the reputed organization SAIL, Bhubaneswar, he returned to his roots with a passion for farming in 2014 converting around 12 acres of low land used for growing paddy into upland with pond and tube well as the main sources of irrigation. For this, he started growing the different vegetable crops like spiny gourd, bitter gourd, capsicum, brinjal, cowpea, etc., including pointed gourd. But, less demand for the dark-colored, thick-skinned, hard seeded fruit in the market, made him to visit the ICAR-Research Complex for Eastern Region, Bihar Veterinary College, Patna, Bihar during a Training Programme organized by the local Krishi Vigyan Kendra where he got exposed to the improved cultivars.
16th October, 2020, New Delhi
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi issued a Commemorative Coin of Rs. 75 and dedicated 17 biofortified varieties of 8 crops to the nation on the occasion of 75th Anniversary of the Agriculture and Food Organization (FAO), the United Nations today.
The biofortified varieties are 1.5 to 3.0 times more nutritious than the traditional varieties. The rice variety CR DHAN 315 has excess zinc; the Wheat variety HD 3298 is enriched with protein and iron while DBW 303 and DDW 48 are rich in protein and iron. The Maize hybrid varieties 1, 2 and 3 are enriched with lysine and tryptophan, the Finger varieties of Millet CFMV 1 and 2 are rich in calcium, iron and zinc. The CCLMV1 variety of Small Millet is rich in iron and zinc. The Pusa Mustard 32 is enriched with low Araucic Acid, while Girnar 4 and 5 varieties of Peanuts are rich in increased Oleic Acid and Yam's Shri Neelima and DA 340 varieties are enriched with Anthocyanin....
Farmers’ Producers’ Organizations play a vital role in resolving challenges faced in agricultural sector: Shri Kailash Choudhary
ICAR organizes 25th Regional Committee Meeting - II on 8th October, 2020, New Delhi
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi virtually organized its “25th Regional Committee Meeting - II (Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, West Bengal and Andaman & Nicobar Islands)” here at Krishi Bhawan, New Delhi today.
Shri Parshottam Rupala, Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare applauded the ICAR’s initiative to organize Regional Committee Meetings for timely and effectively resolving the various problems being faced in the particular regions. The Minister also stressed that with the collaborative efforts of the agricultural scientists, farmers’ hard work and organizing such meetings, the Council can achieve the target of doubling the farmers’ income by 2022.
Appreciating the agricultural...
Shri Narendra Singh Tomar virtually launches ICAR-IARI Campus at Dirpai Chapori, Gogamukh, Assam
25th September, 2020, Assam
Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare virtually launches the Campus of ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Dirpai Chapari, Gogamukh, Assam today.
The Union Minister highlighted the pioneer roles played by the agricultural scientists and farmers to make the country to be self-reliant in the fields of food grains and various other crops. Shri Tomar emphasized on the country’s efforts to retain its first position in best quality of pulses, oilseeds and milk production. He also stressed on the practice of climate-friendly farming to achieve the targets of doubling the farmers’ income.
Underling the various farmers’ friendly schemes being initiated by the Government of India, Shri Tomar stressed that the formation 10,000 new Farmers’ Producers’ Organizations will play a pivotal...
The Hamirpur District of Bundelkhand region being known as the Bowl of Pulses lacks the irrigation facilities due rainfall deficit recorded in the region continuously. Only 27.7% lands of the District are irrigated, remaining 72.3 % lands come under Rainfed situation. The Canals being the main source of irrigation causes physiological wilt in the pulse crop. The situations have a great scope of water saving irrigation methods, viz., sprinkler and drip irrigation system. Keeping the points in mind, the Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Kurara, Hamirpur, Uttar Pradesh demonstrated the irrigation systems in Hamirpur District of Uttar Pradesh for maximizing the irrigation water use efficiency and avoiding the losses of pulse production due to physiological wilt.
The KVK team analyzed the situations as the farmers engaged in pulse production gave flood irrigation, while the pulse crops required light irrigation at critical stages of crops to produce greater yield as per varietal...